Monday, December 17, 2012

Making : Burplap Gift Card Envelopes







This weekend I needed some super simple stitching. The detailed stitches required for the project inspired by the sea were just too much...

Knowing that there are a few people on our list who are set to receive gift cards I decided to make up some little gift card envelopes. So much sweeter than the paper ones the stores give you!

I have been inspired by Maya to use burlap more in my making. She has a great free workshop over at creativebug. I learned a lot about working with burlap watching her work. And the bunting she made is adorable!

So burlap gift card evelopes were born...

Want to make some?

Here is what you need:

Burlap
Thread
Sewing machine
Ribbon
Ruler
Scissors
Iron

Here is what to do:

1. Cut 6 1/2 inch x 4 inch burlap rectangle. Felt would work too.
2. Zig zag stitch the edge that will be the inside edge of the envelope.
3. Measure 4 3/4 inches from the stitched edge and fold that stitched edge to the measured mark. Press.
4. Starting at the lower left corner of the envelope zig zag stitch up the side, across the flap and down the other side, ending at the lower right corner. Now you have an envelope.
5. Find the center of the top flap. Measure in 1/2 inch from the edge. Sew a buttonhole approx. 1/2 inch or to accommodate ribbon size.
6. Fold down flap and press.
7. Thread ribbon through the buttonhole. Pop in your gift card. Tie a pretty bow. Give with a smile...

Note: If you want to have a frayed edge make your rectangle slightly bigger and stitch 1/2 inch from the edge. Pull out the extra burlap to create the fray.

These would also be great for little gifts like dice, or marbles, or even for a homemade matching game.

Happy Stitching & Giving!

4 comments:

  1. you are on a creative roll! these are super sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely! I made my own envelopes for those holiday cards you saw with the tree stamp. This tutorial makes me wish I had done them with burlap!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks KC!
      I would love to see the ones you made. I have seen a sewn envelope pattern out there and want to try it.

      Delete