Thursday, November 8, 2012

Week of Handmade: Five Quick Knit Ideas

Rarely do I use the words quick and knit together but here we are... five (relatively) quick knits for great holiday gift giving...


I have been knitting for many years but would definitely consider myself a novice knitter. I really have not stretched myself in this department and therefore stick with the simple stuff... perfect for quick gift ideas.

1. Knit Hat

Patterns for hats abound on the Internet but I always come back to the easy, versatile pattern for Head Huggers by Ann Norling.


The pattern has five patterns sized from infant up to adult... something for every member of the family.

2. Knit Snakes

When I saw this pattern I knew I had to make a few for the kiddos. The pattern is designed to be a worm scarf but since my little people don't wear scarfs, and love snakes, it became a snake pattern just with a name change! Magic.


The hardest part of this project was deciding on the eyes to sew on. As you can see I went wild. Ha. My conservative self reigns me in with choices like this. I had some great spiral buttons that would have made very hypnotic eyes but calm and peaceful won out.


I used the wiggly worm scarf pattern in the book Knitting Pretty. This pair has seen lots of play and are holding up great.
Thinking I need to pull out the guide book to knit up a wild coral snake with a milk snake friend. That would be a fun way to learn the rhyme!


3. Linen Stitch Bookmarks

I have knit up and given away more of these than I can count. They start out a bit slow while I get the pattern established but then go fast.


My mother-in-law she said she even uses hers to clean her reading glasses. I love that!


The pattern for this bookmark is in the book More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts but can also be found on the publishers website here.


4. Change Bag

This pattern can also be found in Knitting Pretty but it is simply a garter stitch rectangle with a yarn over button hole, sewn up on the sides.


These little bags knit up super fast and easy. Great for beginning knitters.


It can be given as a change purse, full of change of course, but also for giving gift cards and other small gifts. A wonderful little package all on it's own.


5. Seed Stitch Bracelet

Another pattern from More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. This book is just filled with great quick knits and I love how it is broken down by the time it would take the average knitter to complete the projects.

A great way to use up those extra tiny balls of yarn on the bottom of the knitting basket.


I wear this bracelet often and have give a few away to happy recipients.


I can see a smaller variation of these being made into super hero bracelets of some sort. Hmmm.


A few more knitting books I love:

Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
Weekend Knitting

Do you have any quick knitting projects that would make great gifts? Please tell us about them in the comments!


9 comments:

  1. so sweet! i have an older friend that knit my frog prince a ginormous snake when he was younger - it is still bigger than him ;-)

    also, i love the pouch idea for change but especially for the gift card - nice way to personalize it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A huge snake would be great fun!!
      I know two little people who would love that.

      Delete
  2. Do these snakes have any stuffing or just hollow? Very cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen,
      They are not stuffed. The knitting just curls as you knit to make a round body.

      Delete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, is a true life experience is not designed to convince you its a personal health experience, sometimes medical doctors take a different approach about herpes treatment. i has been stocked in bondage with herpes for two years and four months i has tried different means to eliminate this sickness because it surely has distract me even with the world, and i was told there is no cure, but only medicine for treatment all the possible ways i has tried was treatment, two months back i did some herpes research and i found amazing testimonies concerning natural herbal cure, and i go for it through the email address from the post just to give a try of herbal treatment, and i found it grate without delay i got cured with natural treatment from doc Twaha herbal cure his cure are powerful and shows out excellent result. and i think everyone suffering with herpes and others symptoms should also know about this cure from, drlregbeyen10000@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2349038518881 thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOW TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK & HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK.
    MY TRUE LIFE STORY HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER BACK.
    I want to thank Dr Omokpo for saving my marriage. My husband treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my husband has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact: dromokpo@gmail.com that he will help me bring my husband back to being a good man. Then I gave him a try. after 3 days of casting the spell my husband came back home and I forgive him and today we are living in joy and happiness If you are going through any relationship, health problems or broken marriage situation and you want your Ex lover, Ex boyfriend, Ex girlfriend or Divorced husband or wife you can reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t find the bookmark pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do I find book mark pattern please

    ReplyDelete