Friday, March 22, 2013

Explorations: 40 & a Trip

Today I turn 40! 

It is always kinda weird for me to announce, "It is my birthday today!" My introverted side just kinda wants to hide under a rock. But it obviously can't be ignored! So...

I am excited about what the future holds for this next year. Last year, as you know, was filled with all kinds of changes. Right now I have some really great projects and opportunities in the works. That is always fun!

One thing I really love is to travel and explore. It has been neat to check out some of the amazing cultural history in this area. Since our arrival we have done quite a bit of exploring and plan on lots more. A family favorite was Chaco Canyon and Chaco Culture National Historical Park

The day we visited, in mid-February, was a mix of sun, cloud and whiteout snow storm. It was great opportunity to talk with the kids about the elements, how we deal with them today, and how living there during that time period may have been.

So here is a little photo tour. A trip for my Birthday... Enjoy!






















If you ever make your way to this neck of the woods Chaco is not to be missed!


15 comments:

  1. Such wonderful places to explore in your new area. Amazing!

    Wishing you the happiest of birthdays. Hope 40 is a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy 40th, dawn! i've believed for a long time that 40 is the perfect age - a balance of body, mind, and spirit. i hope this is true for you.

    what an amazing settlement! i popped over to the website for more info. it's kind of funny that you posted pictures of ancient ruins on your monumental birthday. freudian? haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! I hope so too. It is beginning to feel that way...
      I LOVE that you picked up on the ancient connection to this bday. You made me laugh! Freudian indeed!

      Delete
  3. Happy 40!!!

    I have yet to visit Chaco Canyon, but it's at the top of my list :-) Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      You must bump it up to the very top. Such an amazing place!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the 40's, they really are enjoyable.

    Thank you for the awesome tour around your area. I haven't
    'been' west is so long, it makes me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracey! That is good to hear.
      I was away for five years and I'm happy to be back but seriously miss the ocean!

      Delete
  5. Happy 40th birthday! I didn't realize we are close in age. Your photos are beautiful. Hope you are having the best of days and I wish you a wonderful year too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex!
      I think the fact that we waited seven years to have kids, so I did not have F until I was 30, throws some off for my age. I certainly don't feel, or sometimes even act, 40! Ha!

      Delete
    2. I hear you about not feeling 40..or acting like it at times ;)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day. Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet that was wicked cold! The four corners are sooooo cold in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I had to give F my big jacket. She was so cold!

      Delete